Friday, December 12, 2014

There's no crying in baseball, you need to get out of the ballpark for that nonsense.

My biggest personal fail in my relationships – or lack there of, lesbihonest – has got to be overthinking every detail until I have convinced myself it’s ruined, and then it’s ruined. I always just assume it’s because they guy is a dick; and if we’re being fair, probably eight times out of ten that’s true. So like... that other two times though…

Perhaps, just maybe, in my attempt to be completely indifferent towards feelings and emotions and relationships and shit like that, there’s a little, tiny, super small possibility that I might potentially be unconsciously sabotaging my own romantic encounters. Using my excellent over thinking skills, I can say that I probably, without a doubt, send mixed signals about what I want, totally expecting the guy to pick up on whatever it is I actually want, even when I’m not 100% sure myself. But like, he should know, right? And don’t even get me started on the completely terrifying idea of actually being bold. Like, maybe telling him how I feel or asking him to hang out with me on Christmas because we both have no plans and it’s totally casual and he can say no if he wants but it’s just an idea and totally cool if not.  Yes, these are what my thoughts sound like and no, it’s definitely not weird.  

So, is making bold moves a bad thing? Or is that how all these girls I know get boyfriends and I – unknowingly – get fuck buddies and fucked over? Too soon to tell, but probably. And believe it or not, it has just recently dawned on me that this is even a possibility. See, I’ve been spending the last few years thinking that feelings are bad and scare guys away – which they do, because guys freak out over EVERYTHING. I also spend the majority of my time with a guy trying to avoid being clingy and end up coming off distant in my sad attempt at playing it cool. But like, what’s the worst that could happen? I let down my guard a bit and he says “oh no thanks, I’m good with the casual” and I say, “oh ok, that’s cool, I don’t have feelings either. Let’s keep having sex while I cry at home.”

I mean, it’s a pretty bold move to actually stop sleeping with someone when they tell you that’s all they want, so tiny celebration parade for me. But boldness to move something forward rather than stopping it is a whole other ballpark, one that I do not usually play in. And in all honesty, continuing to see a guy when I can’t even remotely trust what is going on with us is a very hard thing for me to do. So yes, maybe I’m unknowingly ruining my own potential relationships with fear, but hey, you dickheads made me that way, so deal.

Guys love the game, and that’s all it is to a lot of them. And when you’ve been an unwitting player in the game of “I bet I can get into your pants”, how do you ever really know when you’re no longer playing? Because that’s a ballpark I am all too familiar with and it is surprisingly similar looking to the other one; the one I dare not enter. And let’s play devil’s advocate here; maybe I’m comfortable with oblivious crushes on guys who don’t like me while we have sex and I cry at home. It gives me an excuse to buy Cosmo and eat chocolate and drink beer. Because like, that’s really what woman want.


So back to my point… is being bold and taking chances the only way to get what you want? Or is it the fastest way to scare a guy away? I really have no freaking idea because I haven’t really tried, but hey, you never know how hard you can hit until you step up to bat, right? So go for it. Even if he throws you a curve ball, hit it all the way into the next ballpark, the one you want to be in, the unknown territory for little commitmentphobes like me. You might end up getting what you want and hopping the ballpark fence, or at the very least, you’ve got a great excuse to buy chocolate and Cosmo.

No comments:

Post a Comment